Saturday, February 18, 2006

Home Automation

One of the things I plan to get into in a big way for this house is Home Automation. I have been interested in it for several years but am finally taking this opportunity to go into it full bore. I found a great forum online called CocoonTech that has tons of good information. Also through that forum, I found a local vendor called Automated Outlet where I could go in and ask questions, see the stuff in person, etc.

I also decided I should learn as much as possible about this stuff BEFORE being under the gun to do it right in the new house. So I decided to do as much automation as possible in our existing home, with the idea that I can take the hardware with me for the new house. Based on comments I got on CocoonTech, I had decided to go with Insteon for the lighting control, but when I got to AutomatedOutlet, the guys there convinced me to go ahead and try out UPB, a better but more expensive solution. So I got several devices and put them in at home. Let me just say, I am hooked on this stuff! Lots of fun and practical as well.

So far all I've got are two light fixtures and a lamp controlled but it's a start. I can schedule them on/off via PC and I've also got a switch configured with a couple of buttons that will turn them all on or all off.

The best thing about hooking up wtih AutomatedOutlet is they introduced me to the North Texas Home Automation Users Group (NTHAUG) where I can get involved with locals doing this stuff. They are working on a "project house" next weekend and I will have the opportunity to get some hands on. Very Cool!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home