Let the games begin!
We haven't even started digging yet and it's already been a roller coaster. As I posted last week, we were looking at chemical injection for the foundation and waiting on a price. I spoke with the compapny on Tuesday and they quoted me $10,000 for the treatment. We'll be saving at least $5000 on the foundation by doing this (probably more like $7000) so we decided to go foward with it if it was only going to cost us a net of about $4000.
The chemical company was all scheduled to get started today ... he told me all I had to do was call the water company and get a fire hydrant meter as the process uses 100K gallons of water and there's no way the regular meter could keep up.
Wednesday morning, Julie called the water company and they said they were not issuing those meters anymore becasue the drought conditions had been raised to "severe" so they were not allowed to let anyone use fire hydrants for anything besides fighting fires. The silliest thing about this is that you can use as much water as you want from the regular meter (they're not rationing) but you can't use the fire hydrants. Your tax dollars at work.
So we spent the day yesterday scrambling trying to find a water source and a water truck that could deliver water to the site. The best we could come up with is a lake in a conservation area right down the road from the subdvivision but the water rights there were a bit murky (pun intended).
Anyway, we woke up this morning basically having decided not to do the chemical process and just go back to the original plan of soaking the foundation before digging. When our builder called the chemical injection company and told them this, their tune changed a bit. They had been trying to put the water issue off on us ... until they realized they were about to lose the business. We told them if they get the water truck and a source of water (that lake or elsewhere), we would pay for it but wanted it to be turnkey.
So this afternoon, while my builder and the chemical injection guy were at the lot looking at all this, the builder gets a call from someone he knows who has managed to get through the red tape and get a hydrant meter!
The net of this ... they start the injection process tomorrow, using the hydrant meter, having lost just one day. Quite the sequence of events.
Also, we closed on our construction loan today so we're committed now (or should be ... we'll see which).
I'll post some pics of the injection process over the weekend.
Randy
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home